[Sca-cooks] A Proper newe Booke of Cokerye (mid-16th c.) online

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Sun Jul 22 14:50:38 PDT 2001

http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/bookecok.htm

'Scuse me, but does this say what I think it says? He must have put up
quite a squawk.

To make Blewe manger.

       Take a capon and cut out the brawne
       of hym a lyve and perboyle the brawne
       till the flesshe come from the bone, and
       then drye him as drye as you canne, in a
       fayre clothe, then take a payre of cardes
       and carde hym as small as is possyble, and
       than take a pottell of mylke and a pottell
       of creame, and halfe a pounde of Rye flower,
       and your carded brawne of the capon
       and putte all into a pan, and stere it al
       together and set it upon the fyre, and whan it
       <<29>>
       begynneth to boyle put thereto halfe a pounde
       of beaten Suger and a sauserfull of Rose water
       and so let it boyle tyll it be very thicke,
       then put it into a charger tyll it be colde,
       and then ye maye slyce it as ye doe lieche
       and so serve it in.

Here is a site listing other equally horrible live animal recipes.
http://www.godecookery.com/incrd/incrd.htm

Anyone know of more?

Cindy