[Sca-cooks] online glossary

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Jul 23 14:36:23 PDT 2001

Greetings from Johnnae llyn Lewis

I have been out of town since Friday and am just getting back
to the e-mail as of Monday afternoon.

Regarding CANTARIDES as a term:

The Middle English Dictionary is giving it as follows:

cantaride (n.) Also cantharide, cataride,
kantaride.
[L cantharis]

(a) A kind of beetle; esp., Cantharis vesicatoria;
 one of these beetles dried for medicinal use; (b) pl. a medicine made
from
these beetles, cantharides.

The quotations date back to 1398. Some of the more interesting
 ones deal with obvious medicinal purposes as one is instructed
to "grinde hem" and 'serve'. Note the use of arsenic & cantarides.
 Here are some:

    ( a1400 Lanfranc (Ashm 1396)   62/1:  3eue to him
     medicyn maad of cantarides [L de cantaridibus].
 Take old grete cantarides [Add: kantarydes], & do awei þe
     heed & þe wyngis.
  a1400 Lanfranc (Ashm 1396)   352/19:
  Take þe wombis of cantarides & grinde hem wiþ
     leueyne.
?a1425 *Chauliac(1) (NY 12)   177b/a:
  Cantarides ar bestez, flies of grene colour, litel..with
     adustioun & vesiccacioun.
?c a1400 Lanfranc (Ashm 1396)   278/20:
  Saxifrage & cantarides [L cantarides] & oþere strong medicyns..piliþ
þe reynes.
 ?a1425 *Chauliac(1) (NY 12)   114a/a:
 It is entensioun of doctours þat þe place be cured
with cantarides & arsenec.
  c1440 Thrn.Med.Bk.(Thrn)   76/3:
  Do þer-on kantarydes or garleke or     scottleke.

Hope this helps.

Johnnae llyn Lewis

Johnna Holloway