[Sca-cooks] online glossary

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 23 17:01:14 PDT 2001

My French is somewhat rusty, but I can pick up highlights of a text.
The web page you cited describes cantarides as worms and flies that come in
a variety of colors.  It cites various ancient medical authorities on the
properties of cantarides.  Consuming a small quantity increases the flow of
urine; consuming a large quantity causes one to urinate blood.  When used
as a suppository, it will bring on menstruation in women.

It sounds to me like the descriptions I have read of Spanish Fly.

Brighid