[Sca-cooks] Kitchens and Straw Bales

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Jul 24 07:23:51 PDT 2001

Johnnae llyn Lewis sends greetings.

I just have to say that as someone who actually helped
put up both hay and straw in some god awful temperatures
when I was a teen-ager and living at home
that $5.00 a bale for straw delivered to an event like
Pennsic is not that far out of line. Straw is a major pain-in-
the a-- to bail because at least in Illinois it was always
a mid-July operation. Given the lack of farm labor/teen-age
help, most farmers have gone to the big round bales or the
big compressed stacks for hay. Straw in those small bales
requires getting out the old equipment and hiring help to
work the hay wagons and  lift  & stack it bail by bail in
the barns or sheds. It's hot tiring work.

Johnna Holloway