[Sca-cooks] Kitchens

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Jul 23 21:57:12 PDT 2001

Daniel Raoul said:
> The moral of the story is, it's the Cooper's ball and bat and quite frankly
> their cash cow.  They make the rules for the merchants regarding conflicts
> with their commercial interests and they enforce them.  In my opinion the
> only way you are going to get what you want is to convince the Cooper's it
> is in their commercial interest to do it.  In this particular situation,
> truth to tell, they are probably best situated to arrange the service
> requested anyway.

And whether it is the Coopers supplying these goodies or the Coopers to
do it, you are still going to have to convince either that is worth their
time and risk. If either buys the items, puts aside space for them, expends
labor on setting up and caring for these items (which they have to pay for,
they don't run a volunteer organisation) and they get burned because a
lot of the stuff goes bad before it is sold, then it will be a long
time before you can convince them or someone else to do this again.

If a group wants to encourage this, they need to show that there is
indeed a market for these items. For instance, will folks pay the
extra premium price for real sour oranges rather than using the cheaper
sweet oranges and adding lemon juice (or whatever)?

> Daniel Raoul, who for many years many years ago merchanted Pennsic.  He
> remembers over priced hay bales, hay bail tariffs, hay bale smugglers and
> other strangeness.

The straw bales at first glance do seem expensive, but they are brought
onsite, someone is there to sell them and the $5/bale includes the
disposal cost. I've been buying a bale for several years to break apart
and use in my mattrass sack.

Daniel, I'd love to hear more details about these previous mis-adventures
with the hay/straw bales for my Pennsic history file.
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net