[Sca-cooks] Kitchens

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Mon Jul 23 14:11:43 PDT 2001

Was written:

>>It would be nice but no merchant can compete with the Cooper's store.
>
>Sounds like we're talking about selling two entirely different sets of
>stuff:
>
>Cooper's store: modern convenience food
>Pennsic market: fresh medieval ingredients
>
>Someone who wants fresh ricotta wouldn't settle for yellow american
>"cheez", and vice versa.  Where's the competition?  If anything, it'd
>be competing with the supermarkets in the town.

This thread reminds me sadly of the tired old  USSR joke about a
conversation between a rabbit and a squirrel.  It seems the squirrel was
worried because the KGB was purging all the ducks.  Rabbit said "what's your
worry you're a squirrel."  Squirrel replied "you tell that to the KGB."

The moral of the story is, it's the Cooper's ball and bat and quite frankly
their cash cow.  They make the rules for the merchants regarding conflicts
with their commercial interests and they enforce them.  In my opinion the
only way you are going to get what you want is to convince the Cooper's it
is in their commercial interest to do it.  In this particular situation,
truth to tell, they are probably best situated to arrange the service
requested anyway.

Daniel Raoul, who for many years many years ago merchanted Pennsic.  He
remembers over priced hay bales, hay bail tariffs, hay bale smugglers and
other strangeness.