[Sca-cooks] re: Lemon Syrup

Pixel, Queen of Cats pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Tue Jul 24 12:42:10 PDT 2001

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001 jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:

> > >We've had lemon water, people didn't like it.
> > Was sweetener available?  if it was available, then people are just being
> > lazy and thoughtless. Perhaps a sign of explanation would help.
>
> Sweetener is always available: at the coffee dispenser. Because of course
> you have to have coffee.
>
> > >Gatorade and Water will also be provided.
> > Well gatorade is sugar laden, and water is, well just water (and often
> > nasty with nothing to hide the chlorine taste)
>
> Actually, the water at this site is very good.
>
> > At least consider a secondary section of lemon water.  Then people who
> > do not have a choice due to health considerations will have at least
> > *some* variety.
>
> They always have a choice. They can drink coffee. They can also make their
> own orangeade by squeezing the quartered oranges into their water.
>
> Right now, what I am planning on offering is:
> Water
> Gatorade (blech. But it's a fighting event, you gotta have it.)
> Ginger drink (with sugar)
> Sekanjabin
> Lemon aid.
>
> Mint iced tea may be offered, in which case it won't be sweetened, but as
> I have only 3 committed helpers i'm not holding my breath.

If you're offering such lovely, thirst-quenching and rehydrating things as
ginger drink and sekanjabin, why are you bothering to offer Gatorade? I
can see having powdered sports drink because it's cheapish and easy, but
if you're going to the trouble of the other beverages, I don't see the
point.

Unless, of course, your fighters are the Neanderthal type who won't
consume anything besides large pieces of meat washed down with beer, and
insist on Gatorade when fighting.

Margaret FitzWilliam