[Sca-cooks] Lemon Syrup?

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Wed Jul 25 06:17:26 PDT 2001

In a message dated 7/25/2001 9:09:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Druighad at aol.com writes:

> when I make lemonaide, I use reconstituted lemon juice,(generic) and sugar
> and water. 1 cup lemon juice, 3/4 cup sugar, to 1 pitcher(2 qts) water. Mix
> well. A bit on the sour side but really enough kick to take the edge off
> really hot days.

Yes, but what we're talking about is a concentrated lemon syrup that gets
diluted to make the lemonaide.  That's why there is more sugar then lemon
juice, and it has to be cooked to put the sugar into solution.  You don't
drink the stuff straight, you cut it at least 5:1 with water (5 parts water
to 1 of syrup); many people dilute it even more than that.  It's a 13th
century Andalusian recipe; there is also a version using pomegranite juice.

Brangwayna Morgan