[Sca-cooks] re: Lemon Syrup

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Wed Jul 25 08:33:07 PDT 2001

I do have a recipe for a pickled beef that I know fighters enjoy...it is
wonderful served cold (never had it any other way), seems to keep a very long
time and it's not really hard.  I can't document it as period, but it is at
least period-oid:

Beef Roast, roasted and sliced
onion
mustard seed
bayleaves
Vinegar (red wine and cider/white mixed)

Layer slices of beef with sliced onion, mustard seed and bay leaves.  Pour the
vinegar mixture over the layers and let sit for at least 8 hours.

When I roast the beef, I usually use a bottom round or something fairly
inexpensive...and I lightly salt and pepper it.  I try to make sure that I have
a pan of water on the shelf under the roast to help keep it moist.

Kiri