[Sca-cooks] cheese color

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Jul 25 09:37:42 PDT 2001

"Pixel, Queen of Cats" wrote:

> I am remembering a passage in one of the "Little House" books by Laura
> Ingalls Wilder where someone was watching their mother make butter (it was
> probably Almanzo in _Farmer Boy_, but I could be wrong) where she colored
> the butter with a carrot that she grated and squeezed the juice from.

It was Ma Ingalls in _Little House in the Big Woods_, coloring the
butter in the winter when the cream wasn't so deep colored on it's own
(had to do with feed). I also remember that Ma would rub butter over the
surface of the cheese periodically when she'd put it in the attic. Does
that harden the rind?

'Lainie
(I know LOTS of Little House stuff because guess who I'm named after
mundanely?)