[Sca-cooks] Splenda

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 25 16:00:24 PDT 2001

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
<<I can't address the diabetic issue, but I can tell you that the dry Splenda is a powder looking vaguely like detergent, and it has maltodextrin added to it to give it a vaguely crystalline structure. The liquid looks like water, and seems to contain water, sucralose, citric acid and some kind of preservative. >>>>>>>

I know maltodextrin is added in fermentation processes to add final gravity to the brew (feels heavier/thicker in the mouth than water)because most yeast stains cannot break it down.

I am curious if any biochemists or physiologists on the list know if the human flora can digest maltodextrin for its sugars and caloric content, or if it triggers the insulin release.  My intuition leads me to no, but that is a dangerous place to leave off sometimes . . . . liek when we wrapped aluminum foil around plywood to 'protect it from' the fire we built on it . . . .

niccolo difrancesco