[Sca-cooks] Splenda

Philip Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jul 25 16:20:48 PDT 2001

On Wednesday 25 July 2001 07:00, grizly at mindspring.com wrote:

> I am curious if any biochemists or physiologists on the list know if the
> human flora can digest maltodextrin for its sugars and caloric content, or
> if it triggers the insulin release.  My intuition leads me to no, but that
> is a dangerous place to leave off sometimes . . . . liek when we wrapped
> aluminum foil around plywood to 'protect it from' the fire we built on it .

I suspect that it can trigger an insulin reaction, but that its presence in a
teaspoon of "granulated" Splenda is so much less impactful than a teaspoon of
sugar as to be nearly insignificant. Then again, what a diabetic considers
significant I can't really say.

A teaspoon of the stuff has half a gram of carbs, apparently, as opposed to 4
grams for a teaspoon of sugar.

Adamantius