[Sca-cooks] Splenda

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Wed Jul 25 17:26:45 PDT 2001

>I am curious if any biochemists or physiologists on the list know if the hu=
>man flora can digest maltodextrin for its sugars and caloric content, or if=
> it triggers the insulin release.  My intuition leads me to no, but that is=
> a dangerous place to leave off sometimes .

If maltodextrin is digested and produces, downstream, sugars and calories
into the bloodstream, yes, it will cause insulin to release - at least for those
people who have working pancreases. If it doesn't produce calories, there
should be no insulin release. . . I have no idea, however, if maltodextrin is
digested so as to produce calories/sugars, though, so the question may be moot.

(I am neither a biochemist nor a physiologist, nor do I have any desire to
play either on TV; I'm just a poor working diabetic. . . )

Alban