[Sca-cooks] Spices and Cooking (oop)

Cathy Harding charding at nwlink.com
Wed Jul 25 17:49:13 PDT 2001

The Inuit and Inupiat (eskimos in Alaska) have several "fermented" dishes,
which are considered to be delicacies.  All of the ones I have tried, have
been to my tastes, icky.  I have tried Stinky heads (fish heads which are
buried for some time in the cool ground in a not airtight vessel) and a
whale blubber/meat that has been similarly treated.  When this was tried
with airtight tupperware, there were several deaths and cases of toxic food
poisoning if I recall correctly.

Maeve