[Sca-cooks] Spices and Cooking (oop)

Thu Jul 26 07:23:13 PDT 2001

The meat in your refrigerator tends to be wrapped in plastic but not vaccuum
sealed and pooled in it's own blood, which allows aerobic bacteria to attack
the meat.  "Dry aged" meat is hung in a cool and relatively dry room with an
air flow to remove the moisture which provides the primary environment for
the bacteria.  "Wet aged" meat is vaccuum packaged (to keep aerobic bacteria
from multiplying) at the slaughter house in a cool room, then allowed to age
in the package as it is transported and stored under refrigeration.  The
"wet aged" process is the most common in the U.S. today.

Bear