[Sca-cooks] pickled beef

Thu Jul 26 13:26:53 PDT 2001

Here you go.  Bear

I do have a recipe for a pickled beef that I know fighters enjoy...it is
wonderful served cold (never had it any other way), seems to keep a very
long
time and it's not really hard.  I can't document it as period, but it is at
least period-oid:

Beef Roast, roasted and sliced
onion
mustard seed
bayleaves
Vinegar (red wine and cider/white mixed)

Layer slices of beef with sliced onion, mustard seed and bay leaves.  Pour
the
vinegar mixture over the layers and let sit for at least 8 hours.

When I roast the beef, I usually use a bottom round or something fairly
inexpensive...and I lightly salt and pepper it.  I try to make sure that I
have
a pan of water on the shelf under the roast to help keep it moist.

Kiri