[Sca-cooks] pickled beef

BaronessaIlaria at aol.com BaronessaIlaria at aol.com
Thu Jul 26 14:04:27 PDT 2001

In a message dated 7/26/2001 4:34:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tirloch at cox.rr.com writes:

> Credits
>  I got this recipe from Dame Winifred Corbet de Wynterwood who got it from
>  Mistress Meghan Pengwyn of Wynterwood who got it from Duchess Melisande de
>  Belvoir who I believe got it from Grafin Judith von Gruenwald.
>  ~Tirloch of Tallaght

Bingo! That is exactly the path it took. We usually roasted the beef to about
medium doneness, some cooks prefering to go a little more toward well done.
The beef has a faint sweetness to it when its ready and a nice tang from the
vinegar, onions and mustard. I've never liked pickles and resisted eating
this for a couple of years after I started making it for events but I finally
gave in and tried it. Yum! It keeps beautifully, though it rarely results in
leftovers to keep.

We usually used cider or red vinegar, and one thing I note it does not
mention in the text is to shake the tub every so often while you're poking in
the fridge during the two days. That keeps the flavors melded nicely. It
should also be in something non-metallic so the vinegar doesn't react with
the container.

Meghan/Ilaria