[Sca-cooks] Pennsic water

Pixel, Queen of Cats pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Thu Jul 26 13:33:19 PDT 2001

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Mark.S Harris wrote:

> Alban said:
> > For my purposes, getting a gallon or two and then using it for several
> > days is preferable. I need only go to the tap infrequently then. . . And I
> > don't
> > drink it; I use it for morning Tea of Power (English Breakfast, brewed 10
> > minutes. . . )(Well, Alban, why not go to the tap every day? Because I
> > make my tea after opening up shop, and leaving it is not an option.)
>
> Yes, I think that would be the hardest thing about being a merchant.
> Being
> at this great event and not really getting to 'see' and 'do' it.
>
> > I do so hate a strong weird color to my tea, and having all that iron in
> > it does strange things to the taste.
>
> But since the tea will already color the water brown, does the Pennsic
> water really affect the color of the tea?
>
> I do think some of the water spigets on the Serrengetti do seem to
> offer up 'browner' water than other spigets at Pennsic. Or perhaps
> the greater heat and sunlight on the Serrengetti are what really
> affects things.
>
> Stefan li Rous
> stefan at texas.net

I used to live in Ithaca, NY. We had a well from which we got water very
similar to Pennsic water, as nearly as my non-chemistry background could
determine (well, it smelled and tasted the same, anyway). It lent both an
odd taste and color to tea, even after being softened. It also turned our
bathtub orange, but that's another problem.

Margaret FitzWilliam