[Sca-cooks] re: Lemon Syrup

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Jul 26 23:47:24 PDT 2001

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa replied to me with:
> > Personally, I find using an artifical sweetener in such a drink to
> > be much less glaringly modern than providing coffee, whose use at a
> > medieval or even period feast is questionable and quite obvious due to
> > its color and aroma.
>
> Well, I've shuffled off all responsibility for the coffee, 'cos I don't
> drink it. It's not my bailiwick or decision. However, for the event I'm
> autocratting in December, there will be coffee, because I pick my battles:
> and not providing coffee is not a battle I choose to fight with my shire.

I understand. This coffee example was meant more as an example than
being directed at anyone specifically.

> Thankfully, it's not part of the feast or anything like that: just a site
> amenity, like the Gatorade, the portapotties, the bar, and the pool. (ok,
> the winter event won't have a pool and bar.)

But a lot of those are things we can't do simply do without or work
around. However serving coffee is something we introduce, not something
forced upon us.

> > Even with things like tea, it is nice to offer a non-sweetened version
> > and let folks add their sweetener of choice. This also alows those
> > who find most pre-sweetened teas to be too sweet to still enjoy drinking
> > it.
>
> Iced tea is not period. Cold infusions of herbs might be but I don't have
> evidence of them being served as a beverage. Anyone?

Correct. I wasn't claiming it was. It's another of those items that
is sometimes difficult to omit without causing an uproar. As to
infusions as drinks, what about barley tea?

For a bit more info on infusions, check this file in the BEVERAGES
section of the Florilegium:
infusions-msg     (19K) 11/27/00    Period infusions. Herbal "teas".
Barley tea.

Why do you differentiate between cold infusions and hot infusions? Or
do you actually mean either a cold or hot infusion served cool? "cool"
as opposed to "cold" as in "iced".

> > I do think that if leaving out the sugar impacts the texture of the
> > drink, such as perhaps some sugar syrup drinks,
>
> Trouble is, leaving out the sugar in sekanjabin or ginger syrup doesn't
> just affect the texture: it makes it not a syrup. The pre-made aspect is
> completely gone.

Okay, that is partly what I had in mind, a sugar syrup. "texture" was
the best descriptive name I could come up with.

> I know the older sweetener substitutes are NOT supposed
> to be used to make syrups: what about the new stuff marketed as Splenda?

I've bought some of the Splenda syrups, plain and mint, with doing
some experimenting in mind. I believe others have as well. So far, I've
not tried it. The other various flavored syrups I ordered are quickly
disappearing as they get used to make "shaved ice snow cones".

> I've found that trying to add sugar to a drink once it's cold works very
> poorly for me. Perhaps if I ran it through a blender or something?

Correct. I remember my dad used a liquid artifical sweetener (Sweeta?)
in his ice tea, because he didn't like the way granulated sugar disolved
(or didn't) in the ice tea. I suspect the best way is to mix it in
while the beverage is hot, then cool the beverage down before you serve
it, much as you do for sugar syrups.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net