[Sca-cooks] re: Lemon Syrup

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Jul 30 06:16:08 PDT 2001

> > Thankfully, it's not part of the feast or anything like that: just a site
> > amenity, like the Gatorade, the portapotties, the bar, and the pool. (ok,
> > the winter event won't have a pool and bar.)
> But a lot of those are things we can't do simply do without or work
> around. However serving coffee is something we introduce, not something
> forced upon us.

All of those things are there because people like them enough to demand
them. None of them are period. Same with the coffee.

You can criticize the provision of coffee as non-period as much as you
like. It won't get you anywhere with the folks around here, who would
throw screaming fits if no coffee was provided. *shrug* As I said, there
are some hills it ain't worth dying on.

> Correct. I wasn't claiming it was. It's another of those items that
> is sometimes difficult to omit without causing an uproar. As to
> infusions as drinks, what about barley tea?

Barley tea is a drink for invalids, as far as I've been able to find it.

> Why do you differentiate between cold infusions and hot infusions? Or
> do you actually mean either a cold or hot infusion served cool? "cool"
> as opposed to "cold" as in "iced".

An infusion is generally made with hot water. However, I was
differentiating between infusions served hot and those served cold.

> Correct. I remember my dad used a liquid artifical sweetener (Sweeta?)
> in his ice tea, because he didn't like the way granulated sugar disolved
> (or didn't) in the ice tea. I suspect the best way is to mix it in
> while the beverage is hot, then cool the beverage down before you serve
> it, much as you do for sugar syrups.

That was my point. Either you add the sugar when it is warm, or sugar
doesn't dissolve well. You can provide liquid artificial sweetener, I
suppose, but then you are definitely privileging those who can/will
consume artificial sweetener, aren't you.

By the way, ;), due to some confusion about the waterbearing situation,
we had trouble with the drink coolers. So for a while the only drinks were
water, gatorade, and lemon syrup. We ran out of gatorade powder for the
drinks table fairly early on, so there was water, sekanjabin, one gallon
pitcher of lemon, water, and one 1/2 gallon pitcher of ginger drink. (I
was down to one helper at that point and didn't have time to keep
refilling stuff.)

Gatorade was still being provided on the field-- the two cans of gatorade
bought for the dayboard had been abstracted by the chief waterbearer. ;)

Considering that in some previous years, the choice of drinks was water or
gatorade...  It was an improvement, in my opinion. However, next time, if
the drinks table gets set up properly, there will be the option of adding
lemon to your water, and possibly sugar and stevia or artificial
sweetener.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa