[Sca-cooks] pickled beef

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Jul 26 23:52:37 PDT 2001

Margaret FitzWilliam asked:
> On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Elaine Koogler wrote:
> > I do have a recipe for a pickled beef that I know fighters enjoy...it is
> > wonderful served cold (never had it any other way), seems to keep a very long
> > time and it's not really hard.  I can't document it as period, but it is at
> > least period-oid:
>
> Ooooh. Ever tried canning this?
>
> This sounds like something really yummy for war...

If it's pickled, why should you need to can it?

For some period pickled meat recipes and comments, take a look at this
article in the FOOD section of the Florilegium:
Lrds-Salt-Exp-art (15K)  9/11/00    "Lord's Salt Experiment" by Lady
Hauviette
                                       d'Anjou.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Lrds-Salt-Exp-art.html

Or this file in the FOOD-MEATS section:
pickled-meats-msg (43K)  5/ 7/01    Period pickled meats. Lord's Salt. recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/pickled-meats-msg.html
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net