[Sca-cooks] RE: Translation Criteria - long

E. Rain raghead at liripipe.com
Fri Jul 27 09:13:02 PDT 2001

> Kateryn de Develyn posted an interesting set of criteria for judging
translations.  there are two points I would consider amending

1) Intricacy of subject matter - you do not factor in dialect, which can be
a major factor in the difficulty of translation.  Maestro Eduardo and I have
been translating period Italian recipes. Mine, from the 14th century, are
fairly straightforward.  His, from the 15th century, are written in dialect
& significantly harder to interpret in spite of being 100 years closer to
modern Italian :->

2) Translation - If I read this correctly (a lot of weird symbols were
inserted into your text) you give more points the closer the translation is
to perfect modern American English.  I prefer translations that maintain the
"feel" of the original language, while still conveying the information
clearly. my translations tend to come out looking more like a renaissance
English translation than a modern English translation.

Eden
warning dates on the calendar may be closer than they appear!

raghead at liripipe.com