[Sca-cooks] Translation Criteria - long

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Fri Jul 27 20:05:41 PDT 2001

>I have no experience with legal texts, but I have done some
>translating of cooking texts.  Recipes tend to have a limited,
>repetitive vocabulary and simple sentence structure.  The
>difficulties I have run into have been with words that have no clear
>English equivalent.

"Creme fraiche." Although the literal translation can be "fresh cream",
the _actual_ translation is, well, "creme fraiche."

Gotta be careful with those words; unlike Humpty Dumpty (I think it was),
not everyone can use words to mean what they want them to mean.

Alban, who needs to go re-read Alice's Adventures