[Sca-cooks] Translation Criteria - long

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Fri Jul 27 09:21:03 PDT 2001

>I would suggest that a cooking text is probably more difficult to translate
>than a legal document.
>
>Legal documents ("legalese") in any language looks complicated to the lay
>reader, but the terminology in many cases is stable over long periods of
>time and is specifically intended to mean exactly the same thing to everyone
>who reads it (that's why it sometimes seems so overly specific).

Yeah, but legalese does change slightly over time, and more so from
country to country: think English libel laws vs American libel laws
(there's a famous case of English libel that just got over a week or
two ago, which is why I'm thinking of it, concerning Jeffrey Archer,
the author. Most articles I've read comment on the noticeable difference
between the two countries' laws). And the UK and the US share the
same legal system. . .
Theological terminology doesn't change all that much, I'd imagine;
the Church would be interested in using the same terms in the same
way, and they have the Jesuits to be sure of it. <grin>

In any case: terminology is easy to experienced praticitioners in any
given field of study. It's when you come brand new to a field that things
get vastly weird.

Alban, who's not quite sure exactly what point he's trying to make