[Sca-cooks] Trans. Criteria 3 pages???

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Jul 27 09:59:49 PDT 2001

Debra Hense wrote:

What with all the people who are doing translations out there.
  I took the liberty of drawing up some translation criteria
 for competitions. While this criteria is specifically drawn up
 for Calontir competitions, I thought it would be good to get
 feedback from you folks, and also just to share.

Kateryn de Develyn

Translations

Includes period documents which have been translated
 to modern English.  Entries must be typed.
 Limit 3 pages; if work is longer,
entrants may specify a section of up to 3 pages for judging.

I cannot see how any competent translation with appropriate notes
can fit within a requirement of three pages.

Or did you mean 3 pages of translation, 3 pages of original text,
2-3 pages of footnotes, references, and bibliography, 5-6 pages
of commentary that goes into the recent scholarly arguements
between Professors White, Brown, Black, and Long
over the use, context, and meaning of term 1 versus those
of terms 2, 3, 4, and 5, 4-5 pages of historical notes on
the background of the work being translated, plus 10-12
pages that deal with the vocabulary, glossaries used,
method chosen, and all the necessary background reading
that allows the translation to be understood.

For example, Constance Hieatt and Rudolf Grewe's new 2001
work LIBELLUS DE ARTE COQUINARIA:  AN EARLY NORTHERN
COOKERY BOOK takes a collection of culinary recipes from
the 13th century that exist in four manuscripts in three
languages... Danish, Icelandic and Low German. This
collection of 35 short recipes requires a text of 158 pages.
One recipe in each of the four original versions plus the
four translations plus modern commentary that may take either
a paragraph or even pages to explain would have to be distilled
into just three pages under your suggested rules. The vocabulary
section alone runs from pages 124-145.

How does one condense such scholarship into just three pages?

Sincerely,

Johnnae llyn Lewis

Johnna Holloway