[Sca-cooks] Trans. Criteria//3 pages???

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Jul 27 09:36:27 PDT 2001

What with all the people who are doing translations out there.
  I took the liberty of drawing up some translation criteria
 for competitions. While this criteria is specifically drawn up
 for Calontir competitions, I thought it would be good to get
 feedback from you folks, and also just to share.

Kateryn de Develyn

Translations

Includes period documents which have been translated
 to modern English.  Entries must be typed.
 Limit 3 pages; if work is longer,
entrants may specify a section of up to 3 pages for judging.

With regard to just the requirement of 3 pages, I fail to see
how any one entry if competently done can fit within the framework
of just 3 pages.  Or do you mean 3 pages of translation, 3 pages
of original, 2-3 pages of sources and bibliography, 1-2 pages
of special terms and glossary, 6-10 pages of all the assorted notes
on why scholars have differing opinions on the use of item 1
versus the latter use of items 3, 4, and 5. Plus any other notes
that are needed to make historical sense of the entry.

For example, Constance Hieatt and Rudolf Grewe's new 2001
LIBELLUS DE ARTE COQUINARIA: AN EARLY NORTHERN NORTHERN
COOKERY BOOK works with four manuscripts.
Any of the recipes included can appear in up to 4
versons with original manuscripts, textual notes, and commentary
on each individual recipe.  The Commentary notes can be anywhere
from a paragraph to a matter of pages. The vocabularies take up
pages  124-145. How does one do as Hieatt has done and
fit a modern English version of any one recipe from
4 manuscripts, include commentary, notes and glossary and fit
it all into 3 pages?

Sincerely,

Johnnae llyn Lewis

Johnna Holloway