[Sca-cooks] making cheese with lactaid milk

Linda M. Kalb lmkalb at mail.med.upenn.edu
Sat Jul 28 05:59:12 PDT 2001

Following up on an earlier thread:

I bought the book _Cheesemaking Made Easy_ by Carroll & Carroll, and on page 14,
under the header "Coagulation - How and Why" it states (I paraphrase) that there
are two basic ways to coagulate the milk solids into a curd, acid coagulation and
rennet coagulation.  I quote: "You can cause acid coagulation either by adding an
acid substance such as lemon juice or vinegar, or by adding a bacterial culture
which turns the lactose (milk sugar) into lactic acid.  Both are good ways to make
a curd, and each is used for different purposes."

So I would assume that although lactaid milk wold not  lend itself well to
cheesemaking with bacterial starter cultures, it should be just as good as regular
milk in making cheese by acid coagulation. Most of these are soft cheeses.

Inga Guthbrandsdottir
mka Linda