[Sca-cooks] Is this plant edible

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Jul 29 16:22:59 PDT 2001

Greetings from Johnnae llyn Lewis.

Neither "boston ivy" nor "japanese creeper"
are mentioned in an ethnobotany that I have access
to. "Virginia creeper" was used as a medicine
by various North American Native American Tribes.
The New Oxford Book of Food Plants lists neither.
Fruits of the Forest doesn't list them
Mabey's FOOD FOR FREE lists a ground ivy used for tea,
but the plant is "glechoma hederacea."

What scientific name do you have for the plant you
are searching for?

Johnna Holloway

Noble Cousins!

Greetings from Solveig! This is likely to be the correct plant,
although it may still be the wrong one.

>A website says "Japanese Creeper" and "Boston Ivy". However, you should
>_check_ if this _is_ actually the plant that is meant in your source.
>
>http://www.nobleplants.com/classnotes/spring/springprofiles/vines/parthenotricusp.htm

What I need to know is:

1) Are the leaves and stems edible?
2) Is the fruit edible?
3) What do they taste like?
4) If they are edible, where I can I obtain them for culinary use?

Thank you for your help.

				Your Humble Servant
				Solveig Throndardottir
				Amateur Scholar

| Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D.         | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM       |
| deMoivre Institute              | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est      |
| mailto:nostrand at acm.org         | mailto:bnostran at lynx.neu.edu      |
| Ignored domains: bestbiz.net, pop.net, hotmail.com, aibusiness.com  |
|                  vdi.net, usa.net, tpnet.pl, myremarq.com           |
|                  netscape.net, excite.com, bigfoot.com, public.com  |
|                  com.tw, eranet.net, yahoo.com, success.net         |
|                  mailcity.com, net.tw, twac.com, netcenter.com      |
|                  techie.com, msn.com                                |