[Sca-cooks] Measurement Questions/OED

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sun Jul 29 19:30:18 PDT 2001

Was written:

><< The OED is no help. >>
>
>???
>
>Chiquart is written in 15th century FRENCH, while the OED is a
>dictionary for the ENGLISH language. Look up a Japanese word in a 33
>volume German dictionary, of course it will be "no help". -- Am I
>missing something?

Oh that smarts!

Am I wrong but I get the impression writing in all caps means someone is
shouting?

If so lets lower the volume on this discussion.  Actually a true definitive
French source would help.  Don't  have one.  The separation between French
and English is not quite as great as German and Japanese though.  If it was
originally written in Basque and I referenced the OED the point would be
well and truly taken.   Let us review history shall we and see if I really
missed the mark completely.  There was King Harold then there was that
Norman fellow William, you know the one that invaded in 1066 and spoke
French.   Then there was that long period when French was spoken as the
court language in England.  Golly I guess that means that a lot of modern
England have French roots.  The OED referenced the roots of English words.
I guess squinting through a magnifying glass at that tiny little print in my
two volume OED wasn't a complete waste of time was it?   Now if someone
would like to help the good gentle with a definitive French source they can
go me one better.   As Pops used to say " lead, follow or ...."