[Sca-cooks] Sweet Potatoes

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Jul 29 21:02:50 PDT 2001

Gwynydd of Culloden asked:
> I have just seen an ad on television telling me that sweet potatoes are $1 a
> kilo and I thought I should get some.  Since I have been having fun playing
> around with period cooking at the moment, I would like to do something
> period with them - clearly, I mean late period, but even out of but close to
> period would do.  Any suggestions?  Oh, I don't have an oven but I do have a
> microwave (that epitome of medieval cooking appliances!) so, while I can't
> bake I can do some "almost baking".

I'm not sure if the recipes I have will work without an oven or not. I've
not liked sweet potatos, so I don't remember the recipes in detail but
check this file in the FOOD-VEGETABLES section of the Florilegium:
potatoes-msg      (80K) 10/13/00    Period white and sweet potato use. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/potatoes-msg.html

There was also a pair of "potato" recipes posted here lately that did
not specify white or sweet potatos, but I think they were sweet potatos.
Those recipes are not in this file yet, but if you wish, let me know and
I'll email you those and anything else on sweet potatos not yet in this
file.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net