[Sca-cooks] The English Huswife

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Fri Jun 1 07:49:18 PDT 2001

I have here before me a copy of the English Huswife by Gervase Markham.
Originally this was published in 1615, but the copy I have is the 9th
edition, from 1683.

If anyone has a copy of an earlier edition, or has particular knowledge
of the subject, could you please tell me how much the following differs
from the first edition or from our knowledge of Elizabethan cookery?

This is from the opening portion of the chapter on "Skill in Cookery".

Of Cookery and the part thereof

It resteth now that I proceed unto Cookery it self, which is the
dressing and ordering of meat, in good and wholesome manner; to which
when our House-wife shall address her self, she shall well understand
that these qualities must ever accompany it; First, she must be cleanly
both in body and garments, she must have a quick eye, a curious nose, a
perfect taste, and ready ear; (she must not be butter-fingred, sweet
toothed, nor faint-hearted) for the first will let every thing fall, the
seconde will consume what it should encrease; and the last will lose
time with too much niceness.

Now for the substance of the Art it self, I will divide it into five
parts; The first; Sallets and Fricases; the second, boyled Meats and
Broths, the third, Roast meats and Carbonadoes; the fourth, bak't meats
and Pyes, and the fifth, banquetting and made dishes, with other
conceits and secrets.

To me, fricassees and carbonadoes seem distinctly 17th century (Pepys,
Restoration, and all that), and I'm wondering whether the text I have is
perhaps very different to the first edition.  If it's massively
different, I may have to hunt down an earlier one.

K.

--
Kirrily 'Skud' Robert - skud at infotrope.net - http://infotrope.net/
The only unnatural sex act is one that you cannot perform.