[Sca-cooks] Carbonadoes

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Fri Jun 1 09:45:38 PDT 2001

Kirrily said:
> To me, fricassees and carbonadoes seem distinctly 17th century (Pepys,
> Restoration, and all that), and I'm wondering whether the text I have is
> perhaps very different to the first edition.  If it's massively

They may be. A carbonadoe recipe does appear in the 1615 edition of
Markham though. He does imply that it is an import from France. I
would assume not long before his writing this from the way he says
it.

You might be interested in this file in the FOOD-MEATS section of
the Florilegium:
Carbonadoes-art   (14K)  6/19/97    "Carbonadoes" by Adamantius. A
medieval
                                       "barbecued" meat dish.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/Carbonadoes-art.html

Since Adamantius quotes at length from Markham's 1615 edition, perhaps
you can use it to see if there are any changes (at least for this
recipe) in your later edition.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net