[Sca-cooks] [Fwd: Question on the Melitta Weiss Adamson Guter Spise]

Fri Jun 1 11:07:53 PDT 2001

It is possible to use wood in cooking utensils.  Hardwoods tend to stand up
to heat as long as you don't get them hot enough to burn.  I've planked fish
on a hardwood board and cooked it by the radiant heat from a fire without
turning the fish or the plank to charcoal.

I believe the term used in Guter Speise is "einen hulzinen rost" (with an
umlaut over the u).  I don't have my dictionaries handy to check, but Alia
Atlas translated this as "wooden grate."  It may be that the grill under
discussion is a wooden frame suspended from the ceiling over a fire (cooking
in Germany and the Lowlands appears to have been often done on raised
firestands rather than in fireplaces, a situtaion suitable for a suspended
grate).

Bear