[Sca-cooks] [Fwd: Question on the Melitta Weiss Adamson Guter Spise]

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Fri Jun 1 11:11:45 PDT 2001

Good friends,
Viscountess Regina has asked me to post the message below for her.

Kiri
From: "Wanda Pease" <wandapease at bigfoot.com>
To: "Kiri Elaine Koogler" <ekoogler at chesapeake.net>
Subject: Question on the Melitta Weiss Adamson Guter Spise
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 20:36:10 -0700

Kiri, can you ask the list about this for me?

In the Melitta Weiss Adamson translation of the Bok von guter spise she
translates a phrase as "cook on a wooden grill".

I.e.  In recipe 8. A stuffed roasted suckling pig she has translated it
partly as follows:
"Put it gently into a kettle, let it boil without damaging the skin.  Then
take it, put it on a wooden grill, and grill it on low heat.  When it is
well roasted, take a board and put it on top of a platter."

The wooden grill appears again in recipe 20 and 38, Stockfish; 25-Gebraten
milch (fried milk which was discussed on the list recently

Did they use wooden grills for slow roasting things?  Would a wooden gill
hold up to such heat without burning or at least scorching?

Regina