[Sca-cooks] Re: Bray

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Jun 2 18:28:03 PDT 2001

In a message dated 5/31/01 2:21:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
olwentheodd at hotmail.com writes:

<< Thanks Ras.  I wonder how they came to call it that.  I have no "other
 language" skills so this may be obvious to someone who does.  Bray is
 probably grind or mash in some language.
 Olwen >>

bray [2] (verb transitive)
[Middle English, from Anglo-French braier, from Old French breier, of
Germanic origin; akin to Old High German brehhan to break -- more at  BREAK]

break [1] (verb) broke; bro*ken; break*ing
[Middle English breken, from Old English brecan; akin to Old High German
brehhan to break, Latin frangere]

Ras