[Sca-cooks] polenta

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Mon Jun 4 12:21:35 PDT 2001

Christianna commented:
> My lord is sensitive to corn products processed with lye.  Especially
> instant grits, and now, after an unfortunate incident with polenta, he can't
> even hear the word without going green around the gills.

Perhaps your lord would be interested in some of the period polenta,
which was made of grains other than maize such as wheat, barley or
spelt. There are recipes in Pliny and Apicius. The original recipes
from these two, redactions of these recipes and numerous other comments
on polenta can be found in this file in the FOOD-BREAD-GRAINS section
of the Florilegium:
polenta-msg       (15K)  5/ 8/01    Period polenta. Wheat and maize
polenta.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/polenta-msg.html

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net