[Sca-cooks] polenta

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 4 12:33:57 PDT 2001

--- "Mark.S Harris" <mark.s.harris at motorola.com>
wrote:
> Christianna commented:
> > My lord is sensitive to corn products processed
> with lye.  Especially
> > instant grits, and now, after an unfortunate
> incident with polenta, he can't
> > even hear the word without going green around the
> gills.
>
> Perhaps your lord would be interested in some of the
> period polenta,
> which was made of grains other than maize such as
> wheat, barley or
> spelt.

The original (well, maybe not the 'original')polenta
was not made with corn, but rather hard Durham
Semolina.  Some of the better commercial polenta
products are still made with 100% semolina, with no
corn added.  Whether they are processed with lye, I
really can't say at the moment.  I doubt it, though.
It just doesn't seem to sound familiar.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

There are recipes in Pliny and Apicius. The

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/polenta-msg.html

> Stefan li Rous
> stefan at texas.net

=====
Let the people hate, as long as they also fear.