[Sca-cooks] Re: Lenten feasts

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 6 18:42:26 PDT 2001

>I am interested in planning a vegetarian feast, and
>I'd like to document the occasion as well as the
>dishes.  I thought of advertising it as Lenten feast
>(though the event will most likely not be during Lent)
>or a we-can't-eat-meat-on-Friday theme.  Perhaps in
>the spirit of "doing as they might have done" there
>could be a royal declaration that, due to plague or
>something, no one will eat meat.  Something like that.
>
>Any thoughts?
First thoughts offhand:

How vegetarian are you going?  Ovo-lacto, or vegan?  This will help
determine your recipes, and your occasion.  If you're allowing milk and eggs
and cheese, then this could be a feast for a day of abstinence.  If not,
then you could be eating according to a monastic rule.

What place and timeframe are you working with?  Most cookbooks have meatless
dishes; just have to pick one appropriate for your event. The Menagier de
Paris is good for French food, for example  There's also the Middle Eastern
sources, and de Nola for Spanish stuff.  Recipes are not hard to find.

Again, the first thing to settle is how vegetarian are you being.

Hope this helps.

Vicente