[Sca-cooks] estimating amounts needed

Jane Sitton jane.sitton at radioshack.com
Thu Jun 7 11:50:36 PDT 2001

Greetings!

Is there a reliable method (such as a table or chart or a manual such as the
Army field cooking manual or some such) for determining the amounts needed
for large groups?

Specifically, if I'm cooking beef and boneless chicken, how much should I
prepare per person?  6 oz?  8 oz?  Should I figure that amount for both the
beef and the chicken (a total of 12 or 16 oz of meat?), or should it be some
other sort of combination?

A co-worker is going to be feted next week, and the person in charge of
catering has ordered 18 lbs. of meat, beef and chicken, to serve up to 60
people.  Several people here have expressed concern that that amount might
not be sufficient.

Any thoughts?

Madelina de Lyndesaye
Canton of Loch Ruadh