[Sca-cooks] estimating amounts needed

Thu Jun 7 12:02:26 PDT 2001

> Is there a reliable method (such as a table or chart or a
> manual such as the
> Army field cooking manual or some such) for determining the
> amounts needed
> for large groups?

"The U.S. Army Mess Manual" and "Food for Fifty" both have such charts.  The
current version of "Food for Fifty" is in print and available through most
book stores or possibly the local library.

> Specifically, if I'm cooking beef and boneless chicken, how
> much should I
> prepare per person?  6 oz?  8 oz?  Should I figure that
> amount for both the
> beef and the chicken (a total of 12 or 16 oz of meat?), or
> should it be some
> other sort of combination?

What else are you preparing?  What is the total amount of food per person?

For feasts, I usually plan on 4 oz. portions, but I often serve 2 or 3 meats
and 2 1/2 to 3 pounds of food per person.  Of course, if beef is cheap, I
may toss in some extra as a sop to the carnivores.

> A co-worker is going to be feted next week, and the person in
> charge of
> catering has ordered 18 lbs. of meat, beef and chicken, to
> serve up to 60
> people.  Several people here have expressed concern that that
> amount might
> not be sufficient.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Madelina de Lyndesaye

For a regular dinner, I probably would have planned on 8 oz. per person or
30 lbs of meat, depending on the side dishes.

Bear