[Sca-cooks] Plat, Markham transcriptions

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Thu Jun 7 19:07:18 PDT 2001

Greetings!

As I've mentioned before, I'm transcribing Gervase Markham's "The
English House-wife" (or Huswife), originally published in 1615.  I'm
almost finished (one section to go) so I thought I'd post the URL here
and ask you all to take a look over it and proofread/comment.

Also, this last week I've been in Philadelphia, and the University of
Pennsylvania had a copy of Plat's "Delightes for Ladies", so I spent an
afternoon in the Rare Books and Manuscripts collection getting as much
of it as I could into my laptop.  I got most of the comfits and sweet
things, and a few of the more interesting other recipes for meats and
beauty stuff.  Again, I'd appreciate some proofreading.

If you have time to proofread, the thing I'm most looking for are typing
errors.  If you see anything that looks like a typing error instead of
an archaic pre-standardised spelling, let me know.  This applies also to
sentences ... it's possible I've missed parts of sentences in the
transcription by skipping a line of text or something.

While in Philly I made photocopies from some of their Early English
Books (microfilm) collection.  One of the most interesting, and my next
transcription project, is "Epulario, or, The Italian Banquet",
translated and published in English in 1598.

Also in the translation queue are the recipes from Furnivall's "The
Babee's Book" (15th and 16th century English) and a pamphlet called "Wyl
Bucke his Testament" which starts out with a man's will, and then goes
on to give a bunch of recipes for no very adequately explained reason.
Finally, I have a couple of texts on household management and servants
which, while not cooking-related, might be of interest to some.

Anyway, the important thing: you can find what I've done so far (and
will be able to find what I do in future) at
http://infotrope.net/sca/cooking/ (all my cooking stuff) or at
http://infotrope.net/sca/texts/ (all my transcriptions of period texts,
whether cooking related or not)

K.

--
Kirrily 'Skud' Robert - skud at infotrope.net - http://infotrope.net/
"I don't live La Vida High Fidelity much these days. More La Vida Usenet."