Puddings (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #152 - 16 msgs)

Elysant1 at aol.com Elysant1 at aol.com
Sun Jun 10 12:29:31 PDT 2001

In a message dated 6/8/01 10:03:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time, liontamr at ptd.net
writes:

> A Boudin type Black Pudding in late period was prepared by gentle poaching
as it > was fragile until congealed (yes, I know it's icky, but you all
asked!).

(snip)

> At any rate, these Boudin were indeed sausages made from the blood of a
large
> animal mixed with some sort of spicing, fat and meal, poured or semi-forced
 into > large casings and gently poached until solidified. Quick
boiling/cooking would have > spoiled the texture.

Thank you for this information Mistress Aoife.

I am imagining then that the Black Pudding we see for sale in the stores has
already been through this preparatory poaching process, and that one then
grills or fries the (sliced) solidified sausage in order to "cook" it for
final consumption

Now I wonder what the origin of the "pudding" title of  the "other" dessert
type puddings is, in comparison to the French origin of this one.  Were there
any other "Boudin" type sausages mentioned do you recall?

Elysant
owner of several cats....
"Sing, sing, what shall I sing?
The cat's run away with the pudding string!
Do, do what shall I do?
The cat has bitten it quite in two!"

OED of Nursery Rhymes - source from 1805