[Sca-cooks] 14th century food items?

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Mon Jun 11 18:28:07 PDT 2001

I've been going over a "Court of Claims", where decisions were made
about who had the right to do what for the coronation of Richard II -
carry the swords, act as chief carver, carry the canopy over his head,
and the like.
One of the petitioners requested the right to make a particular dish for
the coronation dinner, a "mess called Dilgirunt", which, if fat were added,
was called "malpigeryum". (I _think_ I have the spellings correct.)

What the heck is a Dilgirunt, and what's a Malpigeryum, and what
kind of fat would have been added?

(I'm beginning to think the Great Coronation Research Project is
the Project From Hell. Dilgirunts, indeed!)

Alban