[Sca-cooks] Ethiopian food

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Jun 11 23:27:24 PDT 2001

> A specialty restaurant only has to appeal to a small
> >fraction of the population of a big city. Consider Ethiopian food,
> >for example, which is a good deal more bizarre than medieval
> >European--yet there are Ethiopian restaurants, and at least some of
> >them draw customers from the non-Ethiopian population.
>
> I must question the idea that Ethiopian food is 'a good deal more bizarre'
> than medieval food.  From the perspective of someone born and raised in the
> southeastern U.S., I'd have to say that although the Ethiopian bread is
> definately different, but the rest of it was familiar and would go nicely
> with cornbread at a 'supper on the grounds' (church picnic).  The foods and
> finished dishes were perhaps a tiny bit spicier than but not much.
>
> Then again, I also saw clear reflections and retentions of medieval food in
> my native cuisine and did not find it 'bizarre' either.
>
> Bonne

So, how would you describe Ethiopian food? What makes it unique? I
thought it was mostly piles of things which you scooped up with a piece
of bread. That doesn't sound too Southern-like or medieval. Is there
Ethiopian fried chicken? :-)

A friend has mentioned an Ethiopian resturant in Dallas. We may try
it out sometime. Gunthar, have you heard anything about this place?
Although perhaps there is more than one in Dallas.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net