[Sca-cooks] Ethiopian food

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 12 08:13:41 PDT 2001

>So, how would you describe Ethiopian food? What makes it
>unique? I thought it was mostly piles of things which you
>scooped up with a piece of bread. That doesn't sound too
>Southern-like or medieval. Is there Ethiopian fried chicken? :-)

I wouldn't really consider Ethiopian food as "Southern" cooking
except that there would be recognizeable elements from soul
food. It appears that stewing is a major factor in Ethiopian
cooking. Most dishes are slow cooked stews or meats  in sauces.
They are eaten with a type of flatbread that actually looks
like fine linen napkins and has a yeasty/beery taste. A bit is
torn from the bread and then the food is pinched between the
bread bits (always in the right hand) and eaten.

I've found Ethiopian food to be very spicy and some flavors
resembling Indian dishes. They do wonderful things with chicken
and vegetables.

>A friend has mentioned an Ethiopian resturant in Dallas.
>We may try it out sometime. Gunthar, have you heard
>anything about this place?
>Although perhaps there is more than one in Dallas.

There are several in the Dallas area. The highest rated one
is "Queen of Sheba" where one meal even includes the traditional
hand washing before and after the meal.

>THLord  Stefan li Rous

Gunthar