[Sca-cooks] Ethiopian in DFW

Jennifer Thompson JenniferT at ptb.com
Tue Jun 12 06:20:53 PDT 2001

> Stefan replied:
> So, how would you describe Ethiopian food? What makes it unique? I
> thought it was mostly piles of things which you scooped up
> with a piece
> of bread. That doesn't sound too Southern-like or medieval. Is there
> Ethiopian fried chicken? :-)
>
> A friend has mentioned an Ethiopian resturant in Dallas. We may try
> it out sometime. Gunthar, have you heard anything about this place?
> Although perhaps there is more than one in Dallas.

I've snipped a bunch of this, but this comment made me laugh. The one and
only time I went to an Ethiopian restaurant, yes, they had fried chicken. A
wonderful experience in all. It was ten years ago (and we've established my
memory failings), but I remember a flat bread with a softer texture than
tortillas or pita (like a thin pancake - firmer than a crepe) and a tangy
taste, like good basalmic vinegar has, not tart, but tangy. The
aforementioned fried chicken, in small pieces, coated in a batter crispy
crust, as opposed to a breaded crust. A rice dish with citrus fruit in it
(oranges? Lemons?). A stew/curry kind of thing (hard to eat neatly with the
bread - funny what the memory picks out) with beef or lamb - could have been
horse for all I know - that one I remember as being spicy-hot. But my
tolerance for spice is pretty high.

Anyway, Stefan (and others who may be local - still wishing I could go to
Maryland) DFWmenu.com lists four Ethiopian restaurants, all in Dallas. Looks
like three of them are Downtown, and one on Greenville. I've not been to any
of them (the one from ten years ago closed years ago), but now I think I
have the bug.

http://www.dfwmenu.com/results.asp?RestName=&ZipCode=&Cuisine=Ethiopian&City
=&x=10&y=7