[Sca-cooks] re: chilled soup

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 12 15:34:21 PDT 2001

> > Gazpacho would be great, especially with a dollop of sour cream on top,
>but
> > I doubt it's period -- tomatoes and all, you know.  Does anyone know if
>it
> > is?
> >
> > Madelina
The red gazpacho most people know of is not period.  It uses period
techniques and applies them to non-period ingredients.  However, there is a
white gazpacho from Malaga that is basically almond milk, white grapes, a
little vinegar, bread and garlic.  Refreshing, tart, and unusual.  Also darn
similar to a recipe in de Nola:

Cañonada Pottage

Take almonds that have been toasted, and grind them well in a mortar, and
take a large piece of bread that has been toasted; and soaked in white
vinegar, and squeeze it out well by hand, and grind them with the almonds
all together, and when they are all ground together thin it with sweet white
vinegar, and before you stir it put in the mortar two or three bunches of
white grapes and two of black grapes, and then force it all through a
strainer, and put it in the pot, and add sugar and ground cinnamon: and this
sauce should taste somewhat of vinegar, and cook it, and when it is cooked
prepare the bowls and put sugar in each one.

The recipe calls it a sauce and says to cook it, but you could probably get
away with not cooking it.

Hope this helps,

Vicente

(the one true sandwich is an Amighetti's Special.  Salami, mortadella, roast
beef, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, pepperoncini, and mustard on Italian
bread.  The cold cuts are from Volpi's down the street.  They make their own
bread.  There is no other.)

St. Louisan and proud.