OT RE: [Sca-cooks] How long...

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 12 13:26:39 PDT 2001

>I got in trouble from some female colleagues here at work a couple of weeks
>back when they noticed that every time I was walking with any male
>colleague, the male would open a door for me.  EVERY TIME!

Apparently I stop a microsecond too early
>near the door and the male unconsciously opens it for me and we go through
>still carrying on our conversation. And I didn't notice until it was
>pointed
>out to me by this female colleague.
>
>Must be the influence of the SCA, right?

Or, you were raised in the South.  Back home, I could be walking along the
street alongside of, but not with, a totally unknown gentleman.  We come to
the doors of the building I work in, he opens it, I go in first.  Being
modern(!), I then open the interior door and when he hesitates, gesture to
show he can precede me.  But more often than not, he gestures that I should
go first, and catches the door before it closes so that he may follow.  This
happened so usually that I can only assume it was a joint upbringing in
manners that allowed it to flow so smoothly, time after time.

I can begin to imagine what you mean by this getting you 'in trouble with'
female colleagues.  My oldest daughter in particular reports herself left
waiting while a guy goes through the door first and doesn't even have the
2nd level courtesy to hold the door from that side, instead it slams in her
face. And all the other girls aren't noticing as they are busy opening their
own doors. We aren't in the Carolina's anymore, Beauregard.

Bonne