[Sca-cooks] Das Boke redaction

upsxdls_osu at ionet.net upsxdls_osu at ionet.net
Wed Jun 13 04:49:49 PDT 2001

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 01:57:28 -0500 you wrote:

> It sounds wonderful, although it would be nice to try it sometime with
> the whole piggies and see how that is.
>
> However, the orginal recipe very specifically talks about boiling
> the stuffed piggy to cook it and then roasting it for a little while
> to brown the outside and such. And the redaction you gave only bakes
> it. Would that not affect the texture and maybe the taste?

I did consider the boiling/baking idea.  The recipe confused me a bit because
in one placeit seemed the piglet was to be skinned, and the later baking to
brown the skin was mentioned.  Since we were using a skinless piece of meat, I
worried the dual cooking would a) leach out what flavor there is in a pork loin
roast, and b) make it easier to overcook and come out dry. I use the dual
cooking method on picnic hams, simmering to remove salt and fat, then roasting
to brown the skin.  After payday, I may buy a smaller roast and experiment.

Liadan