[Sca-cooks] Gazpacho

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Jun 12 21:41:58 PDT 2001

> I know of it and have made it frequently...though I never thought to serve it
> with sour cream!  However, I really doubt that it is period, though there may
> be a period soup that is similar.  I say this because the recipe I have calls
> for a period method of thickening the soup...using bread crumbs.  Do any of our
> Spanish experts know of anything like this?
>
> Kiri
>
> Jane Sitton wrote:
> > Gazpacho would be great, especially with a dollop of sour cream on top, but
> > I doubt it's period -- tomatoes and all, you know.  Does anyone know if it
> > is?
> >
> > Madelina

Not all Gazpacho recipes involve tomatoes. We discussed this a little
in 1999 and a bit in 2000. I've saved a few messages, but it hasn't
been put in the Florilegium. Unfortunately, none of what I currently
have gives definiative proof of whether it is period or not.

If anyone wants those messages, let me know. In the meantime, I've
pasted the latest, as I think it summerizes most of what the others
had to say, below.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net